Friday, April 07, 2006

On your 2nd birthday...

My darling daughter,

I don't even know how to begin this letter, this small tribute to your two-year-old self. How can I explain the way having your little soul in my life the past two years has completely changed me as a person forever? There are so many special things to share about you, that I know I won't do justice, but here is my best attempt for now.

You give some of the best hugs of anyone in our family, and really anyone I have ever hugged. You hold on tight and don't let go for a long time. Sometimes you'll hug me and when I start to pull back to ask you something, you grip me tighter and then start rocking me back and forth, as if you were lulling me into sleep or dancing only with me in that moment.

It never fails, every day that I come to get you from the daycare at the gym, the minute our eyes meet, you squeal with joy and run to me, yelling, "Mama! Mama! Mama!!!" There has not been a single day that you have not done this and when that day comes I will probably cry a little because you make me feel so very special, my dear.

You have an adventurous soul, sweet girl. You are in a family of responsible and cautious planners. You fearlessly buck that system often, but always with a twinkle in your eye and a smile beaming back at us. Your favorite thing is for anyone to chase you. And you're so fast! This is a lot of fun, but it also makes your parents a nervous wreck when you do things like you did last week and run out into the street without looking as the school bus and several cars were waiting. But, even still, something tells me though that your sense of adventure will help all of us loosen up a lot and remember to have fun more often, instead of playing by the rules all the time.

You adore your big brother probably more than anything in this world. You want to be just like him, even if it really inconveniences your parents sometimes. You refuse to drink from a sippy cup if he's around, you must drink from a big cup with a straw--just as he does. You went on booster seat strike many months ago and so we gave in and you sit in a regular chair on your knees. Yesterday, you figured out how to open doors (including the front one on our house) so that you could run after brother when he goes outside to play. (Time for mandatory deadbolts and chain locks every minute now!) What you do not know, is how much your brother completely adores you. I love watching the two of you play together now. He uses patience with you and just adores having someone hanging on his every instruction. Your brother prayed for a sibling for a long while and was so happy to have a little sister when you came home with us. I look forward to seeing the two of you grow up together and continue this special bond that you've both created.

You are as smart as a whip, my girl. So smart that it scares us at times. It all has to do with this trying to be big like brother thing, I suppose. You didn't talk for some time, but now that you are talking, you dazzle us with your vocabulary. You repeat everything you hear and beg to us, "Read me, Mommy! Read me!" You love to paint, color, sing, and play outside. You adore Molly and tolerate our hissy cat Simba way better than any of the rest of us.

Your loving and fun nature is very infectious. Whenever we go places, I get comments about how cute you are. Your strawberry blonde hair always gets attention too. I hope you keep that and the curls for awhile, but I think you Dad worries about the dating years if you do keep it!

You have reached the tantrum year, I am full aware of that fact. You have shown us that you do have a very strong will and independent mind. You are not beyond throwing yourself to the floor and flopping about like a fish out of water if you are told "no" to the "kee" (candy) or to something that you want. But, it is very hard to stay mad at you because you just look so darn cute even in a tantrum! I have a feeling we'll have our rough days this year. You are not as easily distracted from what you want as your brother was at this age. You have a one-track mind. If you are taken away from something, you will walk back to it again and again refusing to give up. I think this will be a great strength to have growing up in this world as a young woman, but for now it sure can wear your parents out!

Most precious girl, you made our family feel complete when you blessed us after so many years of trying with no luck for a second child. I never shared this really with anyone, but I felt pretty scared about having a little girl. I was used to boys and trucks and rough playing and simple shopping for clothes. What would I do with hair bows, dolls and all the frilly things that come with a lot of girls? Luckily, God must have known the kind of little girl I needed, because while you love pretty clothes and your hair clips and dolls, you also love to play rough, play cars as much as your brother does, and love to be outside. It will be a toss-up when you get older whether to have you in soccer or dance class, I can already tell!

You are vibrant, warm, dainty, and strong all in the same breath. You are my daughter, and today you turn two. And, I will say a special prayer of thanks tonight for having your little soul in my life as it has only made my heart open up more and fill itself up to saturation with love.

So, close your eyes and make a big wish, my one-and-only daughter. I hope all your dreams will come true and that I will be there to see them all!

Happy 2nd Birthday to My Little Girl!!!

Love,
Your
Mama

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Wonderful words, mama. She will love these when she grows up.

8:56 AM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Jess said...

Happy Birthday, Beautiful Girl!

12:20 PM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! Excuse me now. I need to find a Kleenex.

7:21 PM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Lisabell said...

I am freaking out that she's already 2. You must be freaking out more :)

12:12 AM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Happy Birthday to your cute little doll.

5:09 AM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

What a cutie! And that thing about being a little wary about a girl--me, too, so much. Not only had I had three boys first, I was also (and remain) a tomboy. I really was afraid I wouldn't be equipped, but it's all (mostly) worked out. :)

9:50 AM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

She is adorable!! You are very lucky. Happy Birthday!

7:51 AM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

Awww what a sweet letter - and the photos are adorable!

9:28 AM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Happy birthday little one, you're lucky to have such a wonderful, thoughtful writer mama who loves you oh, so much!

6:35 AM, April 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late! Happy Birthday to that beautiful little girl of yours!

7:01 AM, April 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should print that and give it to her later.

9:26 PM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Tamara said...

so sweet, steph. She is darling.

9:02 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home