Saturday, July 15, 2006

Our Road is Not Paved with Smoothie Goodness

I think my attempts at forcing a healthier dining lifestyle on to my family fell short this past week. You be the judge.



I bought a huge tub of fat-free plain yogurt and decided I would make smoothies for me and the kids one day with lunch. My son loves shakes and cream slushes at our favorite drive-up-to-clog-those-arteries fast food mecca, so I knew it would be a hit. I envisioned many a breakfast, lunch or snack filled with smoothie goodness, instead of chips or sugary cereals.

So, I blended and iced and blended again and poured up fruity, strawberry-banana perfection, in my opinion. I gulped mine down in no time. And my kids, who love fruit AND yogurt? Uh, not so much. My son said he liked it at first, but he left most of it in his glass and said nothing after awhile. And, it is safe to say that smoothie never even made it to the back of my finicky daughter's mouth.

Later, on the ride home from an extremely awesome swim lesson, my son announced, "Let's go get a treat somewhere for my great lesson!" I looked at the clock and realized we were too close to dinnertime, so I reminded him that he'd already had a treat at lunch with the smoothie.

"Mom?"
"Yeah?"
"You know when someone GIVES you a treat that you didn't really ASK for and you didn't really like?"
"Uh...yeah?"
"Well, I think that instead of a treat, it really should be called FEET."
"What?"
"It should be called FEET because it stinks and it really isn't the treat you'd want at all."
"OK, son. Duly noted. Thanks."

Well, I guess this means the eggplant parmesan and vegetable lasagna go on the back burner for a few more years...

6 Comments:

Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Okay - so you tried. I can honestly say that a vegetable is never harmed in the making of #1 Son's meals. He doesn't do the consistency. Alas, I give him a multivitamin every day. He's a big milk and peanut butter guy, so I really don't worry about him. He's tall and thin and healthy.
Make the smoothies for yourself. They'll come around - especially if there's nothing else.
LBC

7:07 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

That's the thing that I couldn't believe--I can even get fruits down my kids, let alone vegetables! HA! (They do eat raw fruit and a few veggies, I am exaggerating.)

Sounds like our #1 sons are quite alike. Mine would eat PB&J every day if he could and he's tall and thin and healthy as well!

9:51 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Lisabell said...

Maybe try fat-free vanilla yogurt instead of plain? I use it for mine, and it's a bit sweeter -- might make it more appealing for los ninos ;)

1:16 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

FEET! I love that. Got yourself a little comic, there!!

5:05 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Cute story. Your son is very creative with the "feet" idea. I stick with bribery myself for getting #2 to eat fruit. He'll eat most veggies (if they have enough salt on them).

1:10 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha! Feet! That's great. :)

1:25 PM, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home