Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A Sudoku "Sit-In"

An observation from the "bowels" of motherhood...

You know it is time for school to start back when you find yourself fleeing after dinner with a Sudoku puzzle from the newspaper folded under your arm straight to the bathroom. You, the person who has sworn to NEVER take reading material into the toilet (more on the whys of this another time), find yourself in a soft-toed carpet sprint to the tiny bathroom to hide while the kids wrestle and scream at one another. You are past the point of Calgon being able to take you away. You must hide from the madness.

As you numerate and pontificate the puzzle, you continue to hear the squeals, which transition from happy to "I'm telling on you" in nature. Slowly and deliberately, you lean forward and quietly lock the door to the bathroom. You vow to not leave that tiny room until the screaming stops OR you finish the Sudoku puzzle--whichever comes first. You will not leave, even if the children revolt and take over the home violently and your Husband screams for your help amidst their kiddy tortures.

(pause)

You finish the Sudoku puzzle first.

Now, HOW many weeks is it until school starts?

7 Comments:

Blogger Masked Mom said...

I'm not sure how many but I'm pretty sure it's too many!

I would like to tell you that it gets better as they get older and maybe for better moms than me with better kids than mine it does, but last night I was awakened (after midnight!!!!!) by my three boys fighting over the TV remote. The fun never ends, I'm tellin' ya.

10:38 PM, July 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never finished a Sudoku puzzle. Perhaps I should try again?

Everyone seems to be hitting this mid-summer point and hiding from their children. Maybe they need to spend some time at grandma's house?

11:49 PM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

School starts at the end of August around here. We do math every day. We practice our instruments every day. We read every day... it's just like school around here. There will be no fun until the work is done. They also have to keep their rooms picked up and make their beds every day. I'm quite the task master.

They don't enjoy the math, but they find it helps them get ahead when they start school in the fall. :-) I used to make them do English workbooks, too, but I just make them read and it serves the purpose.

Hope school starts soon!
LBC

6:06 AM, July 20, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

28 days and counting until we start, LBC. Good tips for things to do. We don't work on Math NEAR enough, but mine's only going into 1st grade. I pulled out the workbooks recently, but I also need to focus on getting back to some sort of schedule like you do to help.

Nicole-yep--my son has two spend-the-nights this weekend and I have a 1 night trip to see a friend. So, that should definitely help!

MM--you scare me...I'm still living in the denial that things get better with age! HA!

8:11 AM, July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely remember those days. The dog days. It's pretty hard to believe those are now officially behind me for good!

2:12 PM, July 20, 2006  
Blogger Babaloo said...

I've done that, but with a book. Just sat and sat and sat, far removed from the yelling and screaming. It is kind of, what's the word? Liberating!

9:53 PM, July 20, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

3 weeks for us! I was just hiding in the basement yesterday when they all found me and I advised them that it would be in their best interest to leave. me. alone.

They don't seem to take me seriously....

9:54 AM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home