Monday, July 17, 2006

No more deathwishes...the storm has finally passed.

So, remember last week where I mentioned all of these grand plans of joining a half-marathon/marathon running program? Wasn't I inspiring and motivational?

Yeah, I didn't do it.

After talking with my husband about the running program, he gently reminded me of the intense pain I went through with the last running program I did, all thanks to my lousy flat feet. That was just for a 5K, which I completed and did fine with in the end, nothing near a marathon! And, right now in the heat of summer, I realized this program was biting off more than my body can handle and just asking for failure--something I can't handle right now.

Now, remember how I said I was searching for something, some sort of thing that would make me feel more fulfilled in life?

Yeah, I still haven't found that either.

Oh, and I didn't even mention that I was about to attempt to win a spot as a scrapbook designer for a nearby store, either. Yeah, I picked up the sample kit to make something to show them and got those wheels in motion too. Then, I put the brakes on that as well.

Have I ever mentioned that I have a chronic problem with over-committing myself all over the place until I just about make myself physically ill from the stress of it all? Based on past history, I'd then have a big meltdown, pull OUT of everything I can, and vow to never do that again. Two weeks after the pull-out, while dying of boredom, the cycle would tragically repeat itself.

These, my friends, are the days of my life. And, I must stop this.

So, I'm trying something totally different instead...FINISHING all my unfinished projects for a change! I think part of my frustration comes from the fact that I can't even seem to finish a damn book lately. My time is limited and raising two small children can, as I'm learning, bring on bouts of "motherhood A.D.D." like you wouldn't believe!

So, I'm thinking if I publish this on here, maybe I'll hold myself to getting these things done. Then, and only then, will I go back to over-committing myself all over the place until I go mad. So, here's my list of the unfinished things weighing down on me:

1. Embroidery two "Kitty Quilt" squares for my mother-in-law's quilt. (I've had these for more than a year and they're to go to a family quilt we're all working on. Nice.)

2. Finish cross-stitching my daughter's Xmas stocking. (Um, she's well over two now. I'm just a WEE bit behind.)

3. Finish reading my latest three books if it kills me! (The first one came out a bazillion years ago and I have never read it. The second one I NEED to read pronto for my health. The last one is for fun--I told you I was addicted to that show!)

4. Get as far caught up on my scrapbooking as possible.

5. Paint a small portion of our upstairs with the leftover entryway paint.

6. Embroidery a pillow case form for my church's craft fair.

7. Finish beading that Xmas tree skirt I started about 5 years ago. (I am totally not kidding.)

8. Get my son's birthday invites out the door already!

9. Buy the 6 family/friends presents I have to buy for this month and figure out an anniversary gift while I'm at it. GAH, I hate July and August!

10. Go completely and utterly batty because I have not one thing left to do!

Number 10 will never happen. Numbers 8 and 9 are obviously top of the listers, or my family may never forgive me!

Want to know a sad thing? I just remembered that I did this before on this blog. What is most scary? And some of these things were listed on THAT LIST TOO. Damn, I really AM pathetic...

6 Comments:

Blogger Babaloo said...

"motherhood A.D.D." Ha ha ha ha! Very funny, but so true. I usually power through my to do lists when I'm either pissed off about something or procrastinating about something else. Good luck with your list.

6:05 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

I too, am an overcommitter.
And when I uncommit myself...and can finally relax...I start thinking of other things to commit to.

help.

9:57 AM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a few unfinished projects too. You have a great list. It should be fun doing them! Just take your time and have fun with it!!

11:37 PM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Chrixean said...

That is quite a lost you have there. God bless you in accomplishing them. But I still think that your list is more fun to do than a lot of the things I have left hanging here... :-)

5:56 AM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

Sometimes I look at my list and wonder if the world would stop (or even notice) if I didn't finish the things I impose on myself to do.

I think you made the right choice on the marathon thing...

10:47 AM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Excellent choice - finish what you start!
LBC

5:59 AM, July 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home