Friday, August 11, 2006


Random Bits of Goodness All Fried Up in One Pot

Welcome back to the Friday Stir Fry, a little bit of this-and-that floating around in this crazy kitty's brain, all mixed up in my big wok for your reading consumption. There's no MSG though, so enjoy!

  • (In my best Chandler Bing of Friends voice) Can making your 7-year-old write his thank you notes for birthday gifts BE any more painful? I've bribed, I've coddled, I've humored, and we're still only able to squeeze out one note a day. And, even with just one note, you'd think I was asking him to clean the grout in our entire house with a toothbrush or something. GAH!


  • I can hardly believe the countdown to school starting has now gotten under a week. School shopping is done, backpacks have been bought, and we're working on that early morning schedule the week before so it doesn't bite us in the "tookas" next week. (Read: Momcat and her brood are very tired and grumpy today already.)


  • Today was a momentous day. I made a trip to the mall with both my children, even after the early morning wake-up call, and they did NOT totally embarrass me in the stores. Yes, my daughter did run around like a crazy person, but she was not howling like a screaming banshee, so this is progress. And, I didn't even lose her in the clothing racks! Now, THAT'S real progress! Stay tuned--next week, I'll see if I can get her to walk with us, instead of 6 feet in front of us.


  • My finish-something-or-go-MAD project list is coming along. I'm about 1/2 way through the second quilt square. I hope to get it done in a week or so, which means I'd start working on the last half of my daughter's holiday stocking by September. If I can't get the thing done by December, I will know there is something seriously wrong with me.


  • My thoughts are with a blogger with whom I do not know personally, but whose blog was among my first finds and continues to be one I love to read. Beth at Crazy Us shut down her site suddenly this past week. I keep checking back to see if she's back or if there is word on why she shut her site down. She has had a really difficult summer filled with disappointment and grief. Beth, if by some weird chance you read this, your loyal readers miss you!


  • The discussion over at We Three Bitches today is on "toxic friends." Have you had one? Have you been one? I definitely have had my share of them--I tend to attract both the "blow-you-off" kind of friends and have had one or two of the "psycho-Single-White-Female" type of friends. (Thankfully, I've also had some damn good ones mixed in there too!) Anyway, I didn't think that I was toxic, but after reading Painting Chef's description, I have to wonder. She describes a toxic friend as one who forgets friends' birthdays (I try not to, but mommy brain often steps in), who constantly interjects in conversations with their experience on an issue (very guilty of this), and has what they consider to be pretty low maintenance or easy friendships (meaning, it is low maintenance for them but not for others).

    Uh oh...that fits me exactly. Should I quarantine myself now?


  • Tonight is poker night for DaddyCat and his friends. This translates into an evening for me to either A>watch a chick flick he would refuse to see or B>crop away on my scrapbooks until my poor fingers can crop no more. I saw the second Brigette Jones movie the other night with my Mom, so I plan to do B. And, hey! Maybe that means I can get one more thing crossed off my list!


  • Next week, the day before school starts is my 14-year anniversary. Married ladies, is it just me or after about 6-7 years is it damn hard to come up with something to get your spouse? Guys have it easy. They can always get flowers or, on special occasions, jewelry. My husband just wears his wedding band and a watch and he just about died of embarrassment the one year early in our marriage when I sent him balloons and cookies on our anniversary. (Yes, this was a bit much, I realize now.)So, what's left, I ask you? I have one thing small, which is a semi-joke, but I'm looking for some ideas if you have them!


  • My daughter is now 28 months old. And her favorite things to say include the following: "No, let ME do it. Let ME do it!" "No, Daddy, it's your fault! You're FIRED!" (I helped teach her that last part, much to my husband's chagrin) and "Let's go to the swimming pool, Mommy." I'm appeasing her on the last one today in one last dip before school starts, but I'll be damned if I let her fire my husband. I'm not equipped for single-parenthood! Thankfully, I read Nicole's tale of living with a crazy toddler, and realized I am not alone in this boat!

That's all for now, but I may throw something into the fry later today if it strikes me. Hope you all have a great weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger Babaloo said...

"Daddy you're fired," that is so cute. Hope you get that on tape! Happy anniversary to you and DaddyCat.

6:17 PM, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Can't you blog-read your way through poker night? :o)

To Love, Honor and Dismay

7:35 PM, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

I'm worried about Beth too. If I hear anything, I'll email you. I hope she is okay.

9:08 AM, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've had lots of toxic friends. Still have one that I will probably never be able to get rid of.

As for your anniversary, I don't think it's that big of a deal to men, so just forget about it and see if he mentions it. That would be an easy experiment and save you future grief of trying to find the perfect gift!

10:07 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New reader with anniversary gift advice:

A bar of Ivory soap. Really.

According to the 'traditional' list, this year's gift is ivory, and what better gift to yourself than a squeaky clean man?

Happy anniversary!

1:17 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Happy Anniversary! We've been married almost 17 years. The house gets the present... New siding? New crock pot? Whatever we happen to need at anniversary time... It's never romantic - always practical and boring... We love each other and the gifts are secondary.
This year? Hmmm... I'd like maid service once a month for the year... ahhh that sounds great... he won't like it, but I'll be pushing for that one!!
LBC

7:21 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Happy almost aniversary--and I feel you on the 'getting back into school schedule' bit. Ug. I'm grumpy too!

You could get your husband a massage, or rock climbing lessons, or a set of sessions with a personal fitness trainer, or a super cool frisbee or a kite or a remote control plane or a subscription to a magazine that he always buys but never subscribes to... alright, I'm out of ideas :)

8:50 PM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home