Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back where I come from, we call it lard...

I'd vaguely paid attention to all of the hype about partially hydrogenated oils in foods. I knew that this was bad stuff, and to avoid foods that have transfats whenever possible. But, recently, a friend of mine got on a soap box about how frustrated she was to find that her kids breakfast french toast strips were partially hydrogenated. The collective room gasped in horror at this and she said, "I know! Can you BELIEVE it?"

OK, I thought. What is the big deal? So, it's a little lard. A little Crisco cooking. Right? I grew up eating a diet that consisted mainly of frying food in Crisco and then dipped in Velveeta. Mmm...mmm...(note my sarcasm here). My grandmother even kept the jar of bacon grease for REUSE and was known far and wide in my hometown for her great cooking.

And, I ate all of this and inhaled my parents' second hand smoke and I'm still HERE, right? I even have a couple Crisco baking sticks in my pantry as we speak, used only once a year or so on various Christmas cookies and delectables. Well, I do actually have diabetes and heart disease is rampant in my family and well, I have issues with food and weight. Hmmm...do you think the two could be related somehow? Well, would it be OK if I let the lard take the fall for my beloved cheese? I don't think I could live without a block of 2% Velveeta in my 'fridge. I truthfully don't use it much at all, but just having it there gives me great comfort.

And, so last night in my late hours can't-sleep-so-I'll-blog mode, I decided to read up on these kind of fats and become a "transfatologist" if you will--a aficionado of all things saturated. And, BOY, were my eyes opened!

Check out this site for a information overload on all things transfat and partially hydrogenated. This page in particular was quite helpful.

And, now I think that I will be going through my freezer AND my pantry and de-hydrogenating it, and more than just partially. And those Crisco sticks? Well, maybe they'd come in handy the next time I have a squeaky door or a bike chain that needs oiling. Or perhaps for use with a slingshot destined for a nasty neighbor who won't stop running her gossipy mouth!
FWACK! Oh, no! I've been transfat bombed!

Hey, maybe I'm on to something here. Do you think the troops could take these things to war with them? A Partially-Hydrogenated bomb or two might just solve all the world's problems!

3 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Like you, I grew up with a bacon fat can sitting on the cook top for reuse.

Fried potatoes, fried eggs, fried everything!

I do watch what I buy and what my kids eat but I believe in moderation.

Did you know the frosting in the grocery store is so white because it is crisco with sugar in it???? I love the frosting and wish someone had never told me that!

12:21 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Ewww...won't be buying that again. Me, I like to make it white by adding LOTS of cream cheese! But, then, I guess that's about as healthy as the Crisco. HA!

11:15 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Hey--let's just drop pallets of Velveeta and RUN! :)

6:42 AM, November 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home