Saturday, November 18, 2006

Teenage Corruption and More Snooze Button Humor

We're surviving our visit by my 15-year-old nephew quite nicely. Actually, he's easy to deal with and fun to have around. However, unbeknownst to us, we have done our part in corrupting him. I guess we can call it even for all the times my sister-in-law has loaded my kids full of sugar and junk food and let them stay up uber-late only to come home grumpy and chock-full of the sugar runs.

My husband took my nephew to see "Borat," which I knew was obnoxious. But, I had no IDEA just how gross and obnoxious it was until they both came back with stunned looks on their face and I lot of gross stories from the movie.

Then, tonight, after a nice dinner at a new Japanese steakhouse by our neighborhood, I stopped off at the grocery store to check out the $1 movie box. Turns out it was a really hard choice for me between two critically-acclaimed, high-quality flicks--Nacho Libre and Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. In the end, I chose the latter and happily resigned myself to a night of scrapbooking while my husband will be held captive watching a really bad race movie with my nephew.

That sounds fair doesn't it? Two bad movies in one day? Yeah, that's good payback for the narcoleptic nights, I say. Mwah, ha, HA!

And, speaking of narcolepsy, I have to share a funny store having to do with this. A good friend and fun coworker of mine many years ago was known far and wide for two things: his ability to eat any take-out food--no matter how old or questionable it was, and his ability to sleep on the job. He is a really great guy and and all around good egg. But, we were always amazed at how he could position himself in his office so perfectly that when you walked up behind him, you'd think he was working at his computer when he was, in fact dozing. He was truly gifted in this area!

So, one day, my old supervisor decided to have some fun with him. While I was sitting in her office, she quietly picked up the phone and dialed his number. His office was located directly across from hers, and she'd let the phone ring once, and watch him practically fall out his chair. Then, she'd quickly hang up, before he knew what was going on. Then, we'd have to contain our laughter so he wouldn't know it was us! She'd wait awhile until she knew he was back to dozing, and repeat her torture. It was hilarious!

So, there you go, more narcoleptic bashing for the evening. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have more noteworthy information for you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Has to be Tom! Tom, right? Hilarious...

8:30 AM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

That's one way I'm lucky at work--it's just the boss and me and there's a futon and she often naps (snoring loudly on it) so she can't say too much if I occasionally drift off at the computer during slow times. ;)

8:50 AM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger Alison said...

Heh. No question who you were talking about there! I appreciated the story... I also remember him eating particularly huge amounts of those tamales some printing company used to send us at Christmas. (I miss those tamales myself!)

My husband is a bit of a narcoleptic, but he has officially been diagnosed as "pathologically sleepy" (seriously), with both sleep apnea & some kind of repetitive leg movement syndrome that keeps him from sleeping well at night. I still don't think he's slept on the job, though!

I saw a rerun of Scrubs last week that cracked me up, as the character Turk kept coming to bed late, which always woke his wife up. When he realized she was awake, he'd proposition her, but by the time she could sit up to protest that it was a bad time, he'd be snoring already. My husband can also go from talking to snoring in 2 seconds flat!

7:52 PM, November 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home