Thursday, April 26, 2007

AI Haiku BOYCOTT

A question...(this has spoiler info in it so if you record AI and haven't watched, don't read)

Is it OK to exploit children who are orphaned and suffering, who are starving and need help, if you are doing it all in the name of charity and raising money? Is it right to milk that by asking these suffering kids about their dead parents and their situation in an effort to make them cry and thus up the drama for your broadcast?

I'm not unsympathetic or uncharitable by any means, so don't misunderstand. But, I'm just saying...this crossed the line for me at times.

I'm boycotting AI Haiku this week for the above reason. Also, it irritated me how they made it seem like Jordan was being voted off until the last minute. I voted for her and I was ticked off majorly. Finally, I have too much ca-ca to do today to think up Haiku, so I'll be hoping my other amazing cohorts do a good job of the AI coverage this week. (Ah, I see that last one already has. Too funny!"

That is all...

P.S. One observation--Is it just me or did Kelly Clarkson look like she'd put on 50 pounds and aged about 20 years? I'm a huge fan of hers...and I almost didn't recognize her!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I don't know...I think they showed that very hard to watch footage to generate donations. But it was hard not to notice how materialistic all the commercials were when contrasted with such horror. Seriously, if anything I think they should have ran the show commercial-free. Watching people driving around in shiny Fords and drinking Coke for the "Rewards" in between images of people dying did seem disrespectful.

10:34 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

And yeah, I hardly recoginzed Kelly, either!

10:36 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

See, I was hoping that didn't come across as cold and unfeeling. I mean, I did bawl all through most of those segments. There was just something about it when they kept asking the little orphaned boys about their parents that bothered me. You know? Anyway, I'm not a jerk...I hope y'all realize that!

3:55 PM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, you're not a jerk, the AI producers are jerks. I hated last night. Of course, I bawled, too, and even donated, but I do think it was exploitation done in a very cheap and tacky manner.

5:21 PM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Lisabell said...

What HAPPENED to Kelly Clarkson??? I too had to do a double take.

12:27 AM, April 27, 2007  
Blogger Lisabell said...

Oh, and more importantly, I agree that they should have run the show commercial free -- unLESS they had donated the income from the commercials to charity too. Y'know? also -- I HATED what they put Jordin through. The producers suck.

I'm almost over the whole AI thing. But not quite...

12:30 AM, April 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home