Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Give me an "I" or better yet some "Zs"

I've mentioned on here before that I battle chronic insomnia. It's in my genes. My grandmother kept the hours of a vampire most of her life. My mother was known to stay up until 3 in the morning grading school papers. And, I manage to go through cycles of this every 3-4 months that seem never-ending. Nothing seems to make it better.

Lately, I have been trying to go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Some nights I give it an full hour of laying in bed before I give up and get up. Other nights, I just throw my hands up after about 20 minutes and get up because I know it is a lost cause. As much as I want to sleep, I cannot.

But, last night I had the sign that I've really been in this non-sleeping mode for too long. Because, last night, I did my ritual of trying to sleep and then getting up quietly, so as not to wake my husband. I tip-toed up the stairs to copy some CDs over for my iPod when I noticed...

my little kitty was perched right at the top of the stairs by my computer nook, waiting on me.

Typically, she sleeps at my feet most nights. But, obviously, she's now into my new routine so much so that she's two steps ahead of me each night. She, like you after reading this post, obviously thinks I am certifiable. Lest you question that, here's a little list off odd things I've done over the years in the wee hours of the morning:

Clean out all the kitchen cabinets and reorganize them.
Clean out the pantry, refrigerator, etc.
Send strange emails that I find funny, only later to realize they aren't funny at all.
Read a bazillion blogs, and comment a bazillion times.
Worry that people think I'm a freak for leaving a bizarre comment on their blog at 2 a.m.
Yoga.
Clean out my purse.
Sudoku
Mentally redecorate my home.
Mentally clean and redecorate my parents' home. (The first one takes awhile.)
Watch really bad early morning TV.
Make massive lists of things to do the next day.
Pray that someday I will sleep.
Cry
Laugh for no reason, and then do the previous item.
Decide what I'd do if I won the lottery, which I never play.
Google people I haven't seen in 10-20 years.

So, tell me. What do you do when you can't sleep?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh, been there. NIGHTLY. I can ditto most of your list, but would add:
- stalk people on Flickr (in a nice way)
- think about redesigning my blog
- look through a bazillion stock photos for a new header image
- obsess over upcoming events on the desk calendar
- read a book (like, on paper and everything)

11:50 AM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!! I blog... or surf... or do laundry... or watch tv...

3:54 PM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Margaret said...

Take a warm bath--as this is my solution for nearly everything.
Read.
Surf the internets for odd things that wouldn't usually cross my mind in other circumstances.
Watch the programs DVR'd for watching at a much more reasonable time.
Comment on your blog.

Wanna come clean my house one of these nights?? :-)

3:48 AM, April 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home