Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Cousin Vinny

It is so easy to rock my world, people. I don't mean that how it sounds, if you have a nasty mind. But, seriously, I am learning that the older I get, the easier I get to please.

Like today, when after reading a great tip on my favorite of all tip blogs, Rocks in My Dryer's Works for Me Wednesday, I gave it a try. Oh, goodness...this will sound all June Cleaver of me to blog about this, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you. I have had a bonafide laundry miracle. Right here in River City! (grin)

We have a nice set of dark green towels that we've had for a few years. We are ones to wear our towels out around these parts, I guess because we're cheapskates, or maybe because we're too lazy to go buy new towels every couple of years like most people probably do. But, these towels have been the bane of my existence because they were left one weekend in the washer wet and got mildewed. No amount of washing or bleach could rid them of that smell and so I avoid using them at all cost. I have a sensitive sniffer and I HATE the smell of mildewy towels more than almost anything. My husband, who has a much lazier sniffer and will tolerate a lot, admitted the other day that he'd had enough of the towels too and we needed to buy new ones.

Then, I read on Works for Me that someone recommended washing with your detergent and 1/2 cup of white vinegar to remove odors from clothes.

And. Oh. My. Gawd. It. Freaking. Worked!

My towels don't have the faintest trace of mildew smell. And, I am too happy for words!

Now, let's talk about how truly pathetic it is that I chose to post about this. But, I just felt that if I could save one nostril from smelling that putrid mildewy smell on their linens, well I had done my job in life. And, what else could this work on, I ask you? Smelly gym clothes are next in my list. If I dipped a sweaty little 7 -year-old in it after soccer practice, might it erase the smell? Is vinegar the Magic Smell Eraser and I have never known this? What will it do for a stinky Labrador retriever who sheds too much? How about my husband after he spends an evening in our hot garage working on his muscle car?

Oh, the opportunities are endless! Vinegar is my friend, people. Yes, Vinny and I will conquer the evil smells of the world!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Vinegar is awesome stuff!

We also buy baking soda in bulk for the summer when the laundry gets left in the washer overnight.
Helps out with summer-dry skin, too.

4:39 AM, June 27, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Vinnie --- Oh how I love Vinnie, too!

6:07 AM, June 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love vinegar! I actually rub it all over me when I am sun burnt to take the burn away! Vinegar can do anything. It is a little miracle in a bottle. The end.

5:04 PM, June 27, 2007  
Blogger Thumper said...

I'd rather smell like vinegar than mildew... Awesome tip, one I can definitely makn use of!

5:15 PM, June 27, 2007  
Blogger Margaret said...

As one who freaks out when I have the faintest mildewey smell at all, I do not think you are pathetic. Or does it just mean I am pathetic also?

I will be washing with vinegar in the near future.

Another vinegar tip--pour a mixture of half salt and half baking soda down a clogged drain, follow with vinegar and very hot water, and presto, change-o, no clog and no harsh chemicals.

10:36 PM, June 27, 2007  
Blogger CPA Mom said...

I didn't know about the vinegar - but baking soda works wonders on laundry smells.

12:52 PM, July 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home