Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A purely hypothetical question...

So, say you had entertained in your preteen and teen years, a very serious crush on a really hot 80s pop star. Oh, let's say it was someone, for example, like Rick Springfield. And, let's say you had all of his albums and you even currently own his greatest hits album which you plan to put on your Ipod in the next few days.

OK, now, let's say you found out that Rick was coming to a concert venue near you. And, deep down, while feeling embarrassed, you really want to go. But, you are stuck with the who-to-invite-to-the-cheesy-aging-pop-icon show. Do you:

A. Invite your fun new neighbor friend who seems to have so much in common with you and thereby run the risk of her instantly thinking of you as a dork for asking.

B. Convince your long lost friend who achieved her dream of getting an autograph of a certain equally cheesy 80s singer (whose last name rhymes with "rant") to visit Texas when she's already vowed to not set foot in this sauna until the horrible summer heat has made its exit.

C. Bribe and coerce your spouse into taking you, which will require a LOT of payback since he still teases you for taking you to see Beauty and the Beast when you were first dating in college.

D. Buy the ticket just for yourself as an early birthday present and go, donning a wig, trench coat, and dark sunglasses, and hoping that you can contain yourself at the sight of Ricky-poo and not throw an undergarment on stage for him to sign?

So, what do you do?

This is just hypothetically, now. No, really....really! I mean, I've already told you that he's not aging that well. So, it wouldn't be ME wanting to go!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I vote for A. She might be secretly wishing she had someone to go with, too!

1:41 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger karla said...

Well, I have the answer. But since this is a purely hypothetical question, there's no need for me to give it.

1:58 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger PEACE said...

Absolutely, not your spouse...or, um the hypothetical spouse.

I vote for A. Perchance is there a hypothecial sister? Sisters are really fun for these kind of things.

If Cat Stevens ever does a concert in my city, now that he's playing music again, I am so there! Stand Proud!

6:57 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Alison said...

Hmm, I have a great friend from college who lives in the Houston area & looooved Rick Springfield... you want me to give you her e-mail address?! ;-)

10:07 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely ask your neighbor, she's your best bet. Gosh, if I lived near you I'd be begging you to take me!

10:16 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Hypothetically, I'd go for both A and B.
LBC

5:36 AM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'd vote for your neighbor or Allison's friend. I'd volunteer, but I don't think my back can handle it right now. However, you should definitely go--I didn't go to see Billy Joel and Elton John by myself a few years ago, and in retrospect, I should have gone. So go--then tell us *hypothetically* how much fun you have.

3:45 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Peace--I have a sister who lives 6 hours away and is 8 years younger than me. But,I have to say I'd totally go to a New Kids on the Block/Tiffany reunion tour for her, so maybe I'll ask her to do this!

This story has a sad ending. I saw Rick's concert pic in the paper last week and didn't read the details thinking I'd look it up online. After I wrote this, I went online and could. not. find. it. I don't know if that tour date was cancelled or if I'm having oasis-type hallucinations of Springfields just over the horizen. I'm still looking online though--I must figure this out!

9:24 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

And, I guess I just blew that whole hypothetically speaking thing right out of the water now, didn't I? (Grin)

9:33 PM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he is coming to town, you should find someone else who likes his music and take them. That way, you can unabashedly enjoy yourself and have a good time. I recently saw a certain 80s-era heavy metal band with two of my high-school buddies who also loved them back in the day. We had so much fun singing along and elbowing each other during the good parts. Now, we're planning on seeing a certain Canadian prog-rock power trio coming to town in August.

11:30 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

No, someone else I know said they knew he was coming to Houston. If he does I'll go with you. We will yell and scream like teenagers...oh yeah, and cry. Lots of crying.

6:48 AM, June 08, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Debbie--if I can find when he's coming--you are ON! Of course, magaritas beforehand must be a priority--we'll act way more emotional that way...just like when we were dramatic 16-year-olds. HA!

10:11 PM, June 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home