Monday, July 09, 2007

Saran Wrappers Unite! Stop the Cycle!

I think I may have lost my desire to blog, at least to blog somewhat humorously these days. It all started when I had the coolest job fall in my lap. A part time magazine editor's job? Ideal for the at-home mom with a few free hours, you say? You're looking for someone with my credentials and know I'd be a good fit?

Well, hot durn', sign me UP!

Those of you who have read this blog for any length of time, and especially those who know me personally, know that I have this, um, issue. I sign up for too much. I'm spread out all over the place...until I spread as thin as a sheet of Sarah Wrap, and then I crumple into a little ball. And, at that point, you can just throw me in the trash just like your left over sandwich wrapper because I'm no good to anyone.

I'm quickly approaching that point, my friends. You see, I have completely lost my sense of humor. I know because an old blogging co-hort of mine decided to return from her blogging break and I have found myself laughing aloud at her post. And, then I realized. Hey...wait! I don't think I have had many funny posts in probably six months or more. What's UP with that? And, leaving comments? Well, I'm sporadic at best on that now, even though I read blogs when I can in between stress attacks.

Unfortunately, this may not be one for the laugh-o-meter either. But, like they say in 12-step program...at least I am AWARE of the problem now. And, that's the first step, right?

But, what sort of program is there for us--the Saran Wrap people, I ask you? We who run ourselves into the ground over and over again and just don't know how to stop the vicious cycle?

Some would say, quit the job! Stop volunteering at church! Tell your minister you aren't available! Give up that website support you continue to do now that the fun design part is done!

But...I like it, y'all. I just don't know how to balance my crazy life. And, so, because of this, a majority of my summer evenings have spent in front of the computer, not blogging, not surfing, but editing, researching, and writing about happy, fluffy stories from my area of the 'burbs. Most nights it is about 12 to 1 a.m. before I hit the sack and I wake up feeling more drained than the next.

So, that is where I am now. Facing a heinous magazine deadline, and a trip to the museum with 4 kids and my husband's birthday tomorrow. Oh, and did I mention that looming deadline?

Until I find my sense of humor, which must be somewhere down about my ankles now from all this sitting at the computer, I will try to enjoy YOUR humor on YOUR fun blogs. And, I will just apologize for now, and hope I can make it up to you soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boy - I can totally relate to how you're feeling. Taking way too much on and feeling like you can handle it. Then feeling like a failure because you couldn't.

Meds. Dude. You must get on meds!

4:44 PM, July 10, 2007  
Blogger PEACE said...

It's a little word called "no." I, too, found myself ending up being the chair of every committee at work, church organist, chorister, PTA president, State PTA president, volunteered whenever someone needed something and no one else raised their hands. Or always saying "yea, sure" whenever someone called that needed something done. How can you say "no" when they need help and think you are the perfect person for the job, even when you know you are stressed to the max already. How can you let them down? They might not think I'm great and wonderful if I say "no."

Than I came across a poem my grandma had in a book. I can only remember one line. It's better to give a positive "no" than a negative "yes."

I realized all this extra stuff was also having a toll on my family, I was never home. Dinner became an every man for themselves or tv dinners. Time flys by, kids grow and walk out the door with their own lives and you wonder what happened, did I teach them what they need for the big, bad world?

Now, I don't volunteer for anything. I still am chair of several committees at work, but when terms end, I don't volunteer to for more, so slowly it is getting better. It's just better to do a few things really well, instead of trying to do 100 things well that instead turn out half-assed! If it takes any time away from family--automatic "no!"

JUST SAY NO! You can do it!

6:12 PM, July 11, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Both of you have excellent advice. I think I need both actually--meds and to just say no! Maybe the meds help with that? HA!

6:28 PM, July 11, 2007  
Blogger CPA Mom said...

dude, you just described my life. can I have meds too? Share with a fellow soccer mom?

12:46 PM, July 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home