Sunday, July 01, 2007

Here I go again on my own...


Why did the words to WhiteSnake's "Here I Go Again" song pop into my head as I began typing this post? No, I'm not longing for the big hair bands of the 80s, at least not THAT much. And I don't have the strong desire to gyrate around in barely anything on top of a car. But, if you've read my blog for any length of time, you will soon understand as this post will sound all too familar. Is it Deja Vu? Not really...I just seem to be repeating the same patterns in my life.

This has been a year of questioning for me. Questioning the path I have chosen, questioning my abilities as a parent, questioning my health and why I can't seem to get on the right path there, questioning my marriage with its ups and downs...just plain questioning. I don't know if it has to do with being close enough to see the big 4-0, or how long I've been married, or the various decisions I've made until now, but I have a lot of unsettled business to take care of in my life. And, I've decided that it is high time that I start doing that. Not to be crass, but it is time that I get my shit together, people!

Part of my Get My Shit Together (GMST), plan has to do with my weight. I have a lot of little buggers in my genetic makeup that seem to be plotting against me on this and they are winning the war currently. I have Type II Diabetes and an enlarged thyroid/hypothyroidism and am at least 20-30 pounds overweight, and yet I'm not obese and many say I need to lose just 5-10 when they see me. I don't. I need to lose 20-30 to have the hope of getting off my diabetes/thyroid medications.

I take an unmentionable number of pills a day. And I freaking hate taking medicine. This is not working for me. Until now, I have found myself in one of two camps on the pill taking: 1>taking them and cursing under my breath while becoming more and more depressed or 2> not taking them at all and conveniently forgetting to take them as often as possible. The latter has been happening more than the former. This is not good and it has to change.

What else has to change? Well, let me cut to the chase here and make this longer post wrap up a heck of a lot faster with a tidy little list for myself.

MomCat's GMST Goals:

1. Work out at least 5 days a week, every day if you can--even if it is 15-30 minutes of jogging on the treadmill. Try to find a balance of cardio, weights, and strength training.
Actions: Revisit this each week to see how you did and make adjustments as necessary.

2. Cut out the cokes and avoid caffeine whenever possible.
Actions: 1st month-only 1 coke per week. Then, cut entirely. Watch tea in the PM.

3. Cut way low on carbs and eat more veggies and fruit. Plan out meals and snacks in advance so there's less room for failure and shop for the body I want.
Actions: Hummus, raw veggies, and lowfat popcorn for snacking this week, make meal plan.

4. Work hard to find a better balance in my life between work, family, fun and fitness. Make sure one doesn't outweigh the other three if I can help it. Once I find a balance, KEEP IT no matter what!
Actions: Wrap up next issue of magazine and research ways to streamline and make things faster next time.

5. Hold myself to this plan for at least 3 months, and then see where I am. Do NOT GIVE UP!
Actions: Weekly, write a blog post about my progress and admit where I screw up. Forgive myself and stay with it. After 3 months, post my results and see where this needs refining.

One of my favorite blogs is The Amazing Shrinking Mom. Melodee is so inspirational. She has lost 60 pounds and continues to stay with it. She has chronicled her weight loss struggles and victories and is brutally honest on her blog when she has a bad day. She has held herself to an exercise every day rule for longer than I can remember. In short...she is DOING what I need to do!

So, I'm going to follow her lead here and I'm going to publicly talk about this really difficult part of my life so that I feel somewhat pressured, if for nothing else than avoiding public humiliation, to keep up with what I'm trying to achieve.

Today was Sunday, July 1st. On July 24, I will turn 37 years old. I will not allow myself to reach 40 without achieving what I must with regards to my health and weight issues.

July 1 - Sunday's Progress:


  • Worked out at the gym even though I was worn out and had tons of work at home to do.

  • Breakfast, dinner and post dinner snack were healthy. Lunch? Uh, not so much.
July 2 - Monday's Plan:


  • Do cardio class late in the day due to packed morning schedule.

  • Plan out and eat healthy meals and snacks.

  • Purge refrigerator of the bad and plan to stock with veggies and the good.

  • Plan next day's exercise and menus thoroughly before going to bed.
OK, it's all out there now. No turning back! Wish me luck!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Honey, I wish you all the luck in the world (and that sounds like the most sensible, do-able plan I've heard of in a long time) but I have to tell you:
If Tawny Kitaen starts writhing all over your blog, I'm outta here!

:)

7:41 AM, July 02, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

You go girl!!
I know you can do this.
xo
LBC

6:11 AM, July 03, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

you can do this! I know that it is hard, and trust me, I'll be there again early next year after baby #2 arrives. Your plan is practical. Do what you can and don't beat yourself up too much when you have a bad day.

9:28 AM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it's going well for you!! I know it's hard to stick with all the time, but I've got faith that you can do this!! Let us know how it's going :)

And happy Fourth of July!!

2:54 PM, July 04, 2007  
Blogger CPA Mom said...

LUCK! LUCK! LUCK! I'm right there with you. I think I'm on week 5 or 6 of GMST? Love that acronymn BTW. Of course, at Blog Her I won't be GMST, I"ll be letting my shit hang out!

12:50 PM, July 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home