Thursday, February 21, 2008

Straight up now tell me...what do you think?

I was a teen in the 80s, graduating from high school in 1988. And, back in the day, I really loved me some Paula Abdul. I thought she was a great dancer and performer. Looking back, she was the pre-Britney--you know before Brit-Brit got so messed up in the head? She had great videos and classic pop songs. Her cassette (for those who remember what those were!) was well worn by the time I was done with it, from many days practicing my baton twirling in the driveway to "Straight Up," "Cold Hearted," and "The Way that You Love Me." I thought she was the bomb right along with Arsenio Hall.

So, a few weeks back, I heard buzz of her coming out with a new song and people joking about this in the same way they talked about Sly Stallone making another Rocky. Where's the love, people?

The first time I listened to it, I thought, hmm... not bad for your first song in the past decade. It's very techno/synthesized, much like Spears' songs. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the beat though.

Yesterday, I clicked over to watch her new video, which features Randy Jackson on guitar and Paula back dancing again. I watched and listened. And, honestly, I liked it. There are some cheese scenes with the dancers all posing in bizarre poses, but most of it is classic Abdul choreography.

It made me like the song more seeing the video. I like that she included Randy Jackson and a frozen shot of the American Idol celebs at the end. I like that she's gone right back to her great dancing and pop sound. And, honestly, homegirl looks pretty darn good in the shorty outfit for someone who is well into their 40s. A hell of a lot better than our current pop queen wasted and stumbling around the stage.

Now, the news is out today that Abdul is embarassed and unhappy with the video. I was surprised by this. The video has barely gotten time to get out there and she's already saying she doesn't like it? I see nothing to be embarassed about...but maybe it is because I used to like her so much.

Check it out here and tell me what you think. To me, it is no different than most of Britney's videos except thankfully she doesn't have choreographed gang-bang action or groping going on. I think Paula should feel pretty proud as this is a decent comeback effort, if you asked me! She's had her down moments and has battled through a lot over the years, including chronic health problems.

In fact, I think I'm going to go download that song and Straight Up to my Ipod--they'll make great workout songs!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's one of those songs that has grown on me, what with the catchy earworminess of it. And I totally agree, she looks absolutely fabulous for a 30 something, never mind a 40 something!

4:32 PM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

So the photo isn't what I first thought when I saw it, one of Crazy NotmumyetKitten, then?

7:15 PM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Geoff, not sure what you mean. The photo is Paula Abdul...a glamor shot of her though. I'm a blonde! I guess I'll keep my appearance a mystery for awhile longer. (grin)

; )

12:36 AM, February 22, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

I think that guy may be referring to your "CrazyMomCat" name? I'm confused...

Anyway, I like Paula, too. My husband chuckled through her video but I said what you said: She looks awesome for someone her age! And she can sing, even if the techno stuff was a little too much in my opinion. I doubt any of the new pop-tarts will even make it to their 40's with all the bad choices they're making so I say, good for Paula!

9:52 AM, February 22, 2008  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

This guy was just pretending that he thought it was Crazy Mumcat's photo. As the text below the photo implied by starting off .."I was a teen in the 80s...". Glad to see I wasn't the only confused one. Forgive me, I guess Aussie thought processes differ even if ever so slightly from txn ones.

I regularly read and thoroughly enjoy C-MC's writings and even have a link from my blog.

2008
C-MC writes poetry
Haiku none-the-less.

6:18 PM, February 22, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Sorry for the confusion, Geoff! And, thanks very much for the linkage and for stickin' with my blog! I guess you'll like it that I'm rooting for the Aussie on American Idol too! (Yes, it is because I find him sexy, but I dig Australia as well. I would love to travel there one day!)

6:50 PM, February 22, 2008  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

"No worries"! But if / when you do visit Australia, don't forget that the seven letter r-word has a very different meaning here than it does in the U S of A!

6:59 PM, February 22, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Drawing a blank, Geoff...sorry! I'm thinking of R words and just am not coming up with it!

9:22 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

This wildly inaccurate wictionary article should enlighten you!

10:51 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

VERY interesting, Geoff. You learn something new every day! And, I'll never think of making a pot roast with those "sort of" vegetables (carrots, potatoes, parsnips) in the same way again! HA!

11:29 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Trinity said...

Best SEO Company in Canada

3:50 AM, February 24, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home