Friday, March 28, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it...

Have you ever watched a movie that scared you so damn much, that you couldn't say you loved it--yet somewhere deep inside you really did?

In general, I hate end-of-the-world movies. I mean, if it is the end of the world, then let me and my family go early. I don't want to be sticking around after the big one goes off, to be one of the last ones standing. And, quite frankly, it depresses the hell out of me to watch a movie about that. I mean, in this day in age, with all the disease's one step from killing us all, global warming, 9-11 attacks, why in God's name would I want to fantasize about the end of the world really?

I just watched I am Legend with Will Smith. I have no words.

Say what you will as I know this movie was WAY the hell out there...and pardon my French... but this movie freaked my shit out completely. I just told my husband that I'm certain my blood pressure is about at the rooftop right now.

Now, I have not always been a scary movie wimp. As a teen, I loved horror movies. Fred Krueger--bring 'em on. The Shining? Thank you very much, may I watch another?

So, I have seen quite a few doozies in my time. I used to love the thrill of being scared. I can't explain it, but something happens to you when you become a parent . You stop liking the gore, the realistic scary especially, and definitely the violence.

The last movie that really got to me is one that some found completely stupid--The Blair Witch Project. I think that, had I seen this movie in a theater, I'd have left early and pissed. The way it was filmed, the whole damn thing would have disappointed me. But, something about seeing this in a dark room on my living room couch in the quiet with just my husband there, well it scared the living crap out of me. That, and the dead woods where it all took place reminded me entirely too much about the wooded areas surrounding the golf course that bordered the neighborhood in which I grew up.

I am Legend gave me the same kind of scare. If you have not seen it, do see it. I don't want to freak you out, but I think it is probably some of Will Smith's best work. The story is pretty interesting, actually, and the scary parts--well to me, they are like a nightmare come alive. Truly.

My only disappointment in this movie--why the HELL was it rated PG-13? I mean, seriously! If you have a 13-year-old who HAS seen this movie and was not permanently scarred by it, please do let me know. Because I am pretty sure that I am going to be up until I can't keep my eyes open anymore watching mediocre DVR recordings and bad wee-morning infomercials thanks to this one.

It freaked my shit out, I tell you. There is no other way to put it...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw The Blair Witch Project in theaters, before I knew that it wasn't actually real footage. So yeah, I was pretty dang freaked out!! But I know that feeling of hating scary movies but also loving them. I keep telling myself I'll never see another scary movie again... but I always end up going back eventually!

1:13 PM, March 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home