Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wild ON Disney...

This could also be titled, "In case you thought I forgot about posting trip updates..." or "No, my head didn't actually REALLY explode..."

Our washing machine that's only a year old decided to cease breathing the DAY before I have to leave for my 20 year class reunion and the weekend that my son is in a wedding there. Of course, we have like 10 loads of laundry "in the cue" and so it is panic city here.
=======
So, the Animal Kingdom. What was there NOT to love? In my mind, the Magic Kingdom may have edged out "AK" a little maybe because of the sheer size and variety of things, but Animal Kingdom was a close second.

Where else can your eight-year-old stick his head in something like this:
Where can you find the most enormous (and fake) tree with gorgeous animals carved into its trunk?

And where can you take an actual safari ride where you see all sorts of wild animals up close. Yes, we got lots of animal pictures, but I'm from Texas y'all. And, this is what really caught my attention:

That's a freakin' ant hill. I kid you not. We get fire ants hills here in the Lone Star state that I thought no one could rival. Apparently, I was wrong!

So the safari ride was great. Very realistic. In fact, when our driver got a simulated radio call in and began racing to find baby elephant poachers, I had to explain to my son what a "poacher" actually was and that none of this was real. He was quite concerned!

Token animal photos--

Can I get a little whoop, whoop for the Rhino?

The arrogant ostrich that decided to walk more slowly when it realized we had to stop and wait for it to cross our road. It's hard to see with the shadow, but there's a very smug look on his face...I swear!

And, Mr. Tiger's in the haaawse....

One honking big bat:

Coolest looking character we met at Disney--Rafiki from The Lion King. Or, as my four-year-old calls him, "Fee-key."
What girl doesn't want to be Pocahontas, I ask you? Her show was really neat.

Lunch was at the Rainforest Cafe, which we even have in Texas. But, my kids had not been and loved it. My son still talks about the erupting chocolate volcano dessert that we didn't get. I have to admit, I considered skipping lunch and just diving into that!
Great rides--roaring rapids and the a rockin' coaster that we didn't get to ride, but I vow to next time. Expedition Everest takes you through a wild ride, stops when you meet the "Yeti" and then slams into reverse and takes you all the way back through the ride backwards.

But, my favorite thing about this park we got the worst pictures of, unfortunately. And, that was the Lion King show. I don't know if this is part of the broadway show, but it was stunning and we all loved it.
Ok, so, that ends our journey to the Animal Kingdom. I hope my over-abundance of pictures dazzled you and made you forget how long it has taken for me to post. More updates someday.
But, for now, I leave you with my favorite photo from AK. I don't know why, but his grin just makes me crack up and I feel like I should end with this:

Th-th-th-that's ALL FOLKS!!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That goat is ADORABLE!!! It sounds like AK has changed a lot since I've been there--and for the better! I was thinking that we might leave that park out of our plans, but you've changed my mind and now I'm looking forward to it!!

12:49 PM, June 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always LOVED that tree! My kids were always scared of the show in the tree, but you can't win them all.

And the goat thing at the end - hilarious!

4:27 PM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love this post! Great pics!

8:26 AM, June 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to animal kingdom last week. I loved the Safari ride, and the giant tree.

11:15 PM, June 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home