Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Literary, Smiterary (A Personal Peeve)

You know something that I really can't stand in "bloggerville?" That is, people who are on some kind of an ego trip with their blogs and think that theirs is so much superior to others. You know the type---those who deem themselves as "real writers?" They chastise those of us who blog about our everyday lives, and seem to think their rantings online are anything different, just because they're not ranting about baby spit-up or their latest experience at work?

To those I say this, blogs are SUPPOSED to be online journals. If you don't like reading about someone's day-to-day life, then DON'T read their blog. No one asked you to! And, don't assume that the things YOU talk about are THAT much more important or significant, just because you use what you think is clever verbiage.

It is true that blogging is kind of ego-centric. I mean, the fact that we put our lives and stories online does show a tad of vanity, in assuming that someone else would find that interesting. But, for a lot of us, it is also an outlet. I grew up the child of an English teacher, with a ton of "literary" types in my family. I love to write. I was a Journalism major, who switched into the high tech world to make a dollar. Blogging has been so wonderful for me, and has gotten me back to my love of writing again. I do it for me first, and then for the amusement of friends and family and the occasional surprising compliment. And, if that my blogging consists listing off funny things my kids say or my most embarrassing moments, then so be it. Again, I say, you don't HAVE to read it!

There is nothing more of a turn-off to your blog readers than to chastise and berate the very people who are reading your words. The people who yesterday found you humorous, now might consider you arrogant and immature. And, you never know, amidst that dirty diaper story, you might learn a thing or two about life, humor, and about how writing about normal/everyday things can touch lives---much like many authors who have penned their memoirs have done. Now, that's something to think about, isn't it?

OK, I'm off the soapbox now. Have a good afternoon. Check back tonight or tomorow for a running report--my third workout with the team is tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home