Friday, April 27, 2007

Fearless MomCat!

Today is "Fearless Friday" over at MotherTalk, a wonderful blogging community of women who aren't afraid to put it all out there for the world to read. Fearless Friday was inspired by Arianna Huffington who recently published Becoming Fearless, a book that I'm very interested in checking out, but have yet to do so. Today's posts from mothers' around the globe are geared to inspire women to take charge of their lives and go for their dreams.

As I am typing this, I am looking at the clock and realizing that I really have little time for an inspired and long thought out post. So, I will probably just post this and not participate in the talk today. I do however, have something to say briefly (well, for me briefly) about becoming fearless.

This weekend I will go on a family camp out with my 7-year-old, husband and 3-year-old daughter. While I grew up a small town girl and the granddaughter of a well-respected rancher, many might be surprised to find that I've never actually BEEN camping. The closest I have come is spending the night in the 7th grade outside on my best friend's trampoline on her farm. I loved it completely. I love to be outside, love hiking and being with nature. I don't expect for this to be something I dislike.

So, why am I fearless? Because I am taking my three-year-old daughter with me. The child loves to run and is faster than most adults and children, as evidence by the comments I get when someone comes to our house and she starts running laps around the living room. To give you a visual, she is "Dash" from the Incredibles and I am having to become Mrs. Incredible--capable of elasticizing my arms and grabbing her before she hits the speed of light and disappears..or (this weekend) jumps off a cliff...or runs into a boggy lake...

What's another reason I am "becoming fearless" by going on this campout? This state park nicknamed "Alligator Town," and I don't guess I have to explain why. So, yes, I have thought about this combination of Dash in Alligator Town and it does make me feel quite uneasy to say the least.

And, yet, I will go anyway, fearlessly treading in the swampy campgrounds and trying to not be too girly about bugs, mosquitoes, dirt, things that go bump in the night or most importantly eating camp out food. Based on what my husband had me buy at the grocery store, I am certain I will also have to become fearless on my treadmill when I return after this junk food fest.

So, tonight I will toast marshmallows by a campfire and then curl up with a good magazine by flashlight and let the sounds of crickets and owls lull me into...what should be a couple more nights of insomnia. Coming off of several weeks of really awful sleeplessness, I'm sure that I won't be able to rest in my natural surroundings.

Hey, I said I was fearless, but I didn't say I was COMFORTABLE with it all, now did I?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sooooo not a camper! I hope you have fun though, maybe the bugs are still in hibernation from the winter ;)ht

4:04 PM, April 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you are having fun. Camping's okay if you can go someplace mosquito-free. Oh, and alligator-free.

12:44 PM, April 28, 2007  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love camping! And you've given me the inspiration to add the tent and requisite gear back onto our summer purchase list. My wife and I have been talking about it off and on for ages. I think it's time.

Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

BTW, popped by from Tanya's site. Hope you can drop in when you're back. Safe travel.

All the best!

Carmi
http://writteninc.blogspot.com/

9:33 AM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger Lisabell said...

So how was the trip? We need an update! :)jester

8:35 AM, May 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home