Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The lowdown on the camp ground...

OK, let's see if I can give you a very brief recap of my camping trip this weekend. (AS IF I can be brief? Mwah, ha, ha!)

1. My daughter did not get eaten by any alligators. (Although we saw many, many, many!) Nor did she jump off of a cliff.

2. I almost jumped off a cliff when the raccoons opened our cooler and ate my healthy snacks. (I swear, I'm not making this up! They went straight for the grapes.)

3. I went half insane between the hours of noon and 3 p.m. (Think hot and humid temps, no A/C and NOTHING to do but sit around with a bunch of guys listening to sports talk or nervously watching young boys (including my son) try and whittle sticks for the first time with pocket knifes.

4. No fingers were missing when we left the camp out from the aforementioned knife work. Thankfully. And luckily.

5. I learned that just because it is deemed the "family camp out," does not mean that any of the moms actually GO--only that some of the other siblings in the families may get shuttled off with the Dads and sons. (There was only one other mother there. She was an attorney. And very proud of her status in the "gated" section of our 'hood. Enough said.)

6. Camping is damn tiring. Although, I think I actually slept better on a cheap air mattress in a tent than I do on my fancy new pillow top mattress.

7. I am less of a fancy, and more of a sporty kind of chick, generally speaking. But, having to ride a bike at odd hours of the early morning to the nearest bathroom bites big ones. And, no, I'm not a "squatter."

8. I can't squat, but I can miss a shower for a day. But, come day two, and I get a little grumpy...and my HAIR gets even grumpier! Thank goodness for baseball caps!

9. I don't miss wearing make up though. Not for one second. (Big shock...)

10. It doesn't matter how old you get, or whether or not you have diabetes, a toasted, melted smore every now and then is good for the soul.

Stay tuned next for AI Haiku for this week...

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If it weren't for Smores, I would never even consider camping!

6:16 AM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Maybe next time more moms will go...

Sounds like it was fun, though...
xo
LBC

7:49 AM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

We're going camping in a month from now and I can't wait! You're tough to camp in Texas. At least here it's not too hot or humid. We actually froze at night last time we went and it was in August.

9:31 AM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Margaret said...

I haven't been camping in so long, I don't think I could handle it.
But at least you got s'mores!

1:39 PM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger babs said...

mmmmm, smores... I think you hit on something very, very popular about camping. :)

I would say the bathroom situation is my least favorite part of camping. Or maybe the bugs biting you everywhere... yuck!

6:20 PM, May 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I went camping, I didn't have smores, but I do remember thinking that food tasted much, much better while camping. Undercooked spaghetti with Ragu sauce was more delicious than dinner at a fancy Italian restaurant. I don't know if it was the fresh air, because I was starved from hiking, or what, but anything tasted good.

11:11 PM, May 04, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Wow, Andrew. Spaghetti on a campout? Only an Italian would attempt that...(grin)

Babs the bugs are part of the worst thing. I agree!

3:08 PM, May 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home