Friday, June 24, 2005

I need car-sanity!

Well, I did it. After tomorrow I can say I survived summer camp number two, just one more to go! Actually, my son is in 2 bible schools and 1 camp. And, as I mentioned the other day, this is the coolest camp E-V-E-R. (Ok, I take that back, I have a friend who actually is driving her kids 1-1 1/2 hrs a day to SPACE-freakin'-CAMP at NASA. Now THAT is the coolest camp ever!) But, this camp, it is really pretty nifty. And I wish I could go too.

Why can't there be a camp for stay-at-home moms every summer? I mean, who better to let go off to camp? They could have it about mid-July, just when our sanity is about to completely disappear from being home with kids to entertain all day, every day, for several months straight. Ahh...summer...when you are happy for those little day camps that last only 3 hours, like my son is in now.

This is how pathetic my existence has been for the past two weeks. I have literally driven 2 hours every day, to have my son in a camp for 3 hours each morning. Now, those of you who drive in city traffic every day, well you will chuckle at my whining. But, to that I say, "Shut up, "bee-atch" (in my best Dave Chappelle as Rick James voice), because I'm not used to this shit!"

So, my son's camp is a nature camp. It's all about lizards and reptiles and dinosaurs who used to roam the plains of Texas. They go on nature hikes--get to pet turtles, frogs, and lizards--and watch snakes and armadillos in action. (No, the snakes and armadillos are not "in action" together...now that would be something to see! But, this is Tejas, land of muy armadillos...mostly found as road kill. So, studying the life of the armadillo is possible in these parts!) And while that may sound a tad boring to the average joe, to an almost 6-year-old boy, it is pure heaven. I have never seen my son so excited about something each day.

But, these daily drives for me have been kicking my royal arse, folks. My daughter is totally off her nap schedule and sleeping whenever she wants, like some kind of narcoleptic fairy. Of course, then she stays UP until 10:30 at NIGHT and forces me to blog while frantically doing laundry and packing for my weekend trip. So, if this seems a TAD incoherent, blame the wee sleepmeister with the strawberry blonde curls, a-ight?

And, it takes us about 45 minutes to get there using the HOV lane, and then about 20-30 minutes to get back going against traffic. So, I have no time to do much of anything. One day, I tried staying in that area and jogging/walking my old running trail from the running program I did this year. Ok, friends, lesson 1--you cannot freaking JOG in HOUSTON, TEXAS at 10 a.m. in the freakin' morning during a summer month. Yes, there were tons people out there burning up the trails, even working people taking business calls while they were walking around the 3-mile loop. But, y'all, these people are most definitely certifiably insane. I am not one to ask for a heatstroke or a heart attack. But, I guess they are...I guess they'd like a coronary handed to them on a silver platter...or, more likely, a sweaty running shoe!

So, that day was a learning experience. Then, today I tried to run errands while he was at camp, closer to that end of the city, versus driving home. Well, "narco fairy" fell asleep mid-errand again. And it was deep sleep--drooling with the head slumped over to her chest sleep. So, rather than try to tote her from store to store, having people look at me as if my child is in a coma and how dare I have her out running errands, I decided to drive back to my neighborhood and ride around doing my yard-of-the-month picks for my neighborhood. So, I did that, came home for like 10 minutes and voted online for that, then got BACK in the car and drove back to get my son.

SIGH. I am tired of driving. I hate driving. I always have. I wish I could live in a bicycle/walk only state. Know of one? If so, I'm moving.

I now know that I really couldn't be the long-distance commuter type of worker, like my husband is. I don't mind doing this for the occasional trip to a museum, the zoo, or for lunch with the spouse, but this daily crap just eats you up and spits you out!

So, now I'm going to be up until all hours packing for our long-put-off trip to visit my folks. I'm looking forward to seeing them, but not to the stress that comes with it. And, GEEZ, I have to get BACK in the damn car for 6 hours there and 6 hours back. WILL IT EVER END???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home