Tuesday, June 14, 2005

May the Fries Be With You...

I feel like an unfit mother today. My son started his VBS at our church and it finished up at noon. I had to get some errands done, and well there was a Burger King RIGHT there. And, he's dying to collect as many of their Star Wars action figures as he can.

I usually try to keep our fast food visits to only once a week at most, usually less during the school year. This is 1> because my kids are already as hooked on french fries as their mother and 2>my waistline just can't handle it at all. But, it has been a stressful few days around here. So, I succumbed to the easy out and hit BK.

And, what transpired, well, was like a dream for my son. He walked away with not 1 Star Wars figure from his kids' meal, but FOUR. Count 'em, FOUR!

So, his sister was completely knocked out for her midday nap and I "strollerized" her (my new word...I'm making it a verb now, so deal...), so we could get our food. I ordered him the BK BIG kids meal, so I could give his sister about a third of it versus having to buy two meals.

(I have friends who don't buy happy/kids meals at all for their kids...because it is much pricier than just buying a big pack of nuggets or a couple of cheeseburgers, and you don't end up with those junky toys all over the place either. Well, those would be the smart, economical moms who didn't ever START getting their kids these meals. You see, once you start the kids' meals, how do you ever stop?)

So, I noticed a sign that said you could get two more figures with your adult meal combo if you just added $1.25 to it. I thought...hmmm that'd be a good reward for him behaving nicer the past few days. I'll get the Whopper Jr combo and have less burger and share some of my fries with the wee one (who was still snoring in her stroller).

We sat down and partook of our greasy delights and chatted away about bible school, which Star Wars figures are the coolest, and why (once again) my son couldn't see the new PG-13 Star Wars movie (At this point, I practically have him convinced that armed guards stand at the door to the movie not letting anyone under 13 in. He's five. He believes this stuff...for now!)

Then, I looked down and realized...there is not a nugget to be had for little sister. I should mention here that my son and daughter both sometimes alarm us with their healthy appetites. I would say I don't know where they get that, but that would be laughable. Because, then I looked down at my own food and saw there wasn't a fry crumb left for little sister from my take either. GEEZ--I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!

It was OK, she was still strollerized and snoozing away with no signs of waking up. My son was grinning ear-to-ear at his three Star Wars figures, even if he didn't get Yoda or Darth Vador or even the R2-D2 that squirts water. So, we picked up our stuff and left.

Of course, as we were walking out the door, little sister woke up. I picked up pace, hoping to get her out of there before being "discovered." But, she caught whiff of those greasy sticks of artery clogging fun, and the jig was up for us. As she wailed in hunger, I foolishly thought maybe she could make it through our errands before she ate. Then, she let out another piercing wail...letting us know in her own way she was NO FOOL.

And, I felt like a total jerk because the two of us had eaten her food as she slept. But, I didn't have the time or energy to go somewhere else or stop somewhere toddler friendly for her. We had to get our errands done, her diaper was reaching maximum density on wetness, and we needed to get going.

So, yes, you guessed it...I bought another damn kids meal, this time at the drive through. I dolled out crumbles of two of the nuggets and some fries from the front seat as I drove, and tossed the rest at our next destination. She was happy as a junk-food lovin' lark and my son was beyond delighted to get another figure. As for me, well I feel certain now that I will be paid back somehow for teaching my kids my own very bad eating habits.


Sigh...may the fries be with you my friends...


The End! Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just saw Episode III today and am totally amazed that a 5 year-old can be a fan like me! i would be thrilled if my sons become StarWars maniacs. i love your blog Steph. and i just love this post. you're a terrific mom.

1:45 PM, June 14, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Thanks so much, Irene. We'd been worried about the new episode because we heard it was violent, so we're waiting for it on DVD. He's seen the other ones that way--we show him the more kid-friendly parts and skip the sections that are too adult/scary.

Thanks also for being a repeat reader on here--I admire your poetic writing style a great deal and so your liking my blog is quite a compliment!

3:31 PM, June 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home