Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Sabering the Thought of Sugary Cereals

Maybe it was re-reading that last post about our fast food frenzy or maybe it was the fact that my weight has remained unchanged after completing and continuing my running program. But, I'm starting to realize I need a MAJOR food overhaul in my house and in our lives.

I think that came to me most clearly when I found myself joyously purchasing a box of Fruit Loops large enough to house a small family of squirrels. After a long quest, I had finally found one of the few remaining boxes of cereal that had the most coveted cereal box prize of all. The "official" Star Wars spoon/light saber is wanted by many a 5-year-old boy, but held only by few at breakfast each morning. And now, my son would be one of the few, the proud, the light saber cerealists.

I am sure you are thinking I really spoil my kids after reading my last post. But, I could not disappoint him this time. Months ago, I'd promised him that he could not get yet another box of "sugary cereal" (that's what he calls it), unless he finished his current box of Apple Jacks. But, I assured him that they'd still have the spoon saber boxes by then. Well, then his Dad mistakingly bought him another box of Jacks, because it had Star Wars trading cards on the back, thinking he'd be welcomed with open arms. Instead, my son held his head low and sighed. Now, he'd have to eat this whole box too. Poor Dad, he was trying so hard to please him too!

So, I told him we'd get the box with the light saber too, the following week on our grocery store trip. Only, we went...and they....were...gone. I thought my son was going to cry right there. He held it together in disappointment and asked if we could look at another store. I told him we couldn't that day, but would soon. Again, with the low head...crushing the desperate mom's heart.

I decided my quest must go on without him. If he joined me, and I did not find the spoon saber, each quest to a new store would only end in disappointment. And, folks, they only give you one free sugar cookie per kid. One just wouldn't do the trick after awhile. Not after he'd been so patient, so steadfast in his Jacks eating each morning , so he could get to the bottom and then get to buy a new box.

So, I knew there was only one place to go...a place many covet, but I abhore. Yep, you guessed it, the monstrocity that is the Walmart Supercenter. I NEVER have good experiences at this place--EVER. But, I decided to stop off and just see if they had it. And, as luck would have it, they did. As I said, it was the biggest box of cereal I have ever seen, but my son's face lit up more than Luke's light saber when he saw it. I was scoring big "mom points" with this and the four-treat day at BK the day before.

Yet, in all of this, I realized we've had a slow shift in our house. It used to be that my son ate one box of healthy cereal to earn that next box of sugary cereal. Or, I'd buy the little combo packs and tell him he had to eat the healthy ones too before we'd buy more. Now, we'd graduated to the mamouth box of Fruit Loops? I knew something had really gone awry with our eating.

So, I'm determined now to get us back on track. My kids do eat vegetables and fruits really well (better than their parents, actually!) My son is on this kick about talking about what is good for your body and what isn't. What better time to practice what I preach? Today at lunch he had carrots and apple with his PB&J. We're on our way to healthy...and maybe by the time we get to the bottom of that titanic cereal box we'll be there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisabell said...

Um.... what's this about a FREE SUGAR COOKIE???

12:05 AM, June 15, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Only for kids 10 and under...sigh...life isn't fair, is it?

9:47 AM, June 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home