Saturday, June 18, 2005

It is 1:30 a.m. Do you know where your wife/mom is?

I have a problem I have blogged about before many times. And that problem would be insomnia. I can't help it...it is in my genes. My mother and grandmother are/were both the same way. It is like my brain tries to tell me that the hours between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. are my peak productivity hours. And my body begs, "Please, no. Not again!!!"

So, tonight I couldn't sleep for many reasons. And, I have been reading on
Flylady.com again on how to get rid of your clutter and organize your home. For those of you needing to do this out there, check it out. (I don't recommend getting her daily mailings unless you are serious, because you WILL get bombarded.) There's a wealth of info on her site for where to start to get your life in order and running more smoothly.

So, I have been reading her site in the wee hours of the morning this past week, when I can't sleep. Only my son's VBS schedule has totally prevented me from keeping up with her tasks for each day to keep order in your home. So, tonight I decided something. If I cannot sleep, I will organize, throw away and clean out. I just cleaned out three kitchen cabinets that were a hodge-podge, organized my son's craft cabinet, bagged up baby bottles and burp clothes we no longer need, and threw out a ton of clutter. And, I feel great! Only, now I'm really wired. Hence, my reason for blogging right now!

I also have had another revelation that I'd like to share. You know, since I'm here and awake and all. That is, that I really would like to find a way to incorporate my writing about everyday life and topics of interest to me into a job. Before staying home with my kids, I was a full-time technical writer, writing software documentation and creating online help for software programs. It was a decent career and well-paying enough. But, it never really fulfilled me. However, I did start off my career studying journalism and worked a very brief stint in television news, as a news producer. (It was a VERY small market and only on the weekends, and TRUST ME it wasn't very glamorous at all. But, the job was exciting and I loved the writing aspect of it most of all.)

I have had several ideas on what I could do as my dream job to bring in this creative/autobiographic writing with some sort of freelancing/flexible work schedule that fits my life right now. I think that, for starters, I'd like to look into freelance writing for magazines. I have found a course I may take at the end of the summer on how to get published and find the work. Since many of my readers are writers, I'd love to hear any thoughts or tips on this based on your experiences.

I say all of this with a big disclaimer here too...I have a son going to kindergarten in the fall and a daughter in the toddler years, so realistically this may not happen overnight. But, it is something I'm mulling over, as my brain does it's usual 1 a.m. scatterbrained spin-off of ideas. So, drop me a line if you have any thoughts or ideas on how best to get started!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came by your site by way of heather-anne's. I also suffer from terrible insomnia....I wrote about it here and here

4:24 PM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Thanks for stopping by Liz! I SO related to your insomnia stories. We'll have to swap tips for getting through it--with two small kids, it just kills me when I've had a no-sleep night!

5:06 PM, June 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph,

Thank you SO much for the awesome comment you left on my blog today. I know exactly what you mean by the peace and warmth your mom felt.

I don't know that I believe (or want to believe) that she's just hanging around waiting to cheer me up when I need it or drop hints that she's still here. It's more like she'll always be a part of me, and I feel her spirit when I need it most. I think sharing the same sort of experience with my mom released that energy. Does that make sense?

I sound like a dork, but I think you know what I mean.

I really hope that you can find a writing gig that suits your creative needs (and real life schedule.) Freelancing seems to be a great idea! I'd love to just freelance.

9:28 PM, June 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home