Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It's raining! Where IS Neverland???

You know the old saying, when it rains it pours? I can relate to that right now, even as I sit here still a little hot from our evening bike ride in the Houston heat. Something is very wrong in Texas--we are getting no rain and 100 degree temps and it is ONLY JUNE. What the HELL is August going to be like at this rate? Suddenly, I'm realizing why 75 percent of my neighbors have forked over 30-50 thousand (or settled for living in debt) all for a pool in their backyard!

There are other things out of place this summer besides the weather. Everyone I talk to recently seems to have the same answer for the question, "How is your summer going?" That is, "busy." My answer to the question is, "What summer?" It certainly doesn't feel like a summer vacation when you are going non-stop all the time. It is pouring folks, but not the real kind of rain that our grass so desperately needs. No, it's just raining with one thing after another and another and another, etc

But, in the midst of the insanity, my husband and I got a rare treat last weekend. We actually had an afternoon where we almost felt like a married-with-no-kids couple again, just like the old days! And in these old days, we were complete movie nuts. It wasn't uncommon for us to take in a couple of movies each weekend. If we didn't get to the theater, we at least rented a couple. I was UP on the movie scene folks! And I loved it!

Since that time, it's become really hard to get out to a movie. I know this will change when my 1-year-old gets just a tad older and we feel comfortable having a sitter over more, rather than relying on family. But, we DID rely on family this weekend, and it turned out great! We finally got to see the new Star Wars movie, ate out at a Japanese steakhouse, and had--shock of all shocks--a REAL date for a change! I forgot what it was like, I think! HA!

I also rented one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, Finding Neverland. I highly recommend it! Here are links to my reviews of both Star Wars and Neverland over on my old pal Dipu's website. (It's a virtual treasure-trove of pictures, reviews, and political commentary from all my old Austin friends.)

Back to that rainstorm...the past few weeks I have literally been a taxi service, shuttling my son to and from vacation bible school and this week to his nature camp. I will probably blog more about the camp soon, because it seems like just the coolest camp ever. I actually wish I could go! But, it is 30 minutes there, 30 minutes back, I'm home or running errands for 21/2 hours, then leave to get him, 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back. I feel like my butt is starting take a permanent shape that suspiciously matches the leather seats in my SUV. Hmm...

So, I'm driving to this cool camp that I don't get to go to because I am NOT five, and my daughter is ALL off her nap schedule and now taking two naps a day on these drives. So, she stays up until 10 p.m. now. Only, last night, she woke up all night long and screamed until one of us held her. It was lovely. I got about 3-4 hours of sleep at most. I think I'm really ready to find some sort of Neverland to escape this insanity for awhile, if that's possible. Can you point me in the right direction?

Oh, and did I mention that we have ANOTHER bible school to go to in two weeks, the week after that my sister and her family plan to spend their vacation here, and then it is my son's birthday? Oh, and the week after that, we start back to school freakishly early. And he's going to Kindergarten this year and I have to face putting him on that damn bus? How the heck am I going to do that, I ask you?

OK, I'm done. I think I'll go look for that Neverland downstairs. If I never blog again, you'll know I found it! I hope Johnny Depp is there, but I hear he's moved on to some sort of chocolate factory. Sigh...just my luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

Oh yeah... Johnny Depp made "Finding Neverland" simply divine! And I can't wait to see him as Willy Wonka. He is just the best superstar ever. (swoon)

12:32 PM, June 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home