Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Speaking of scary movies...

Don't you hate it when a scary movie has such an impact that it kind of changes you forever? Or maybe it is just MY overly over-active imagination (which hasn't faded with adulthood, unfortunately). I still remember the scary dummy doll from that movie in the 70s, "Magic." As a kid, I snuck into the living room and hid behind the couch while my parents were watching it late one night. I ended up really regretting sneaking that peak for the few minutes before they discovered me, because I had nightmares forever after that! I know it was a dumb movie NOW, but when you're about 7 or 8 and see something like a talking doll coming after people in the night, well can we say traumatized for life?

Today, my kids and I hit the nature trails at the Arboretum where my son had his camp last week. There we were on these really quaint little walking trails and my son was pointing out all the insects, squirrels, and what not. It was really amazingly quiet and peaceful, and you could tell he was loving it completely. Why, you'd think it was almost serene and therapeutic, right?

No, not for me. You see, for me, nature has been forever ruined. All I kept thinking was--this looks JUST like the trails to nowhere on "The Blair Witch Project." What if we can't find our way back? What if we keep walking forever? Why is it SO QUIET? Wait! What was that? OH MY GOD, WHAT ABOUT MY KIDS!!!

Of course all of this was in my head, and I couldn't let on to my new "nature-nut" of a son that I was horrified to be in the wilderness because of devil-worshipping cults or ghosts that might come upon us! So, I had to walk along, seemingly unphased on the outside, all the while making mental notes of landmarks as we walked along and SO RELIEVED when it was all over and we made it HOME. How freakin' SAD is that, I ask you?

1 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

If it makes you feel any better, I saw "The Elephant Man" when I was six and became horribly afraid that I was turning into the Elephant Man, because he used to be normal-- JUST LIKE ME! My Elephant Man fears lasted until I was about 13 years old. I remember obsessively feeling my temples where the bone juts out a bit and I was sure they were sticking out because they were about to grow into huge, bulbous protrusions. I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd have to sleep sitting up, just like the Elephant Man (to my mind, that was a really awful thing to have to endure). After I saw the movie, I couldn't even go to the bathroom alone. Even today, I can't watch that movie. The thought of it scares the shit out of me. So yes, I totally identify!

8:10 PM, June 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home