Saturday, July 02, 2005

Bird Watching for Pervs

I'm not sure, but I think yesterday I witnessed a bizarre bird orgy taking place in my own backyard. Read on and tell me if you don't agree...

We put new flower beds in our backyard and I've been peeking out the blinds at various times of day at them to see what areas get the most sun or shade so we know what to plant. I peeked out this afternoon only to find three birds doing some strange dance only a few feet from my window at the base of a new tree we'd planted.

The birds were all facing one another in a circle. They were bobbing up and down and rubbing heads simultaneously. At first, I thought this was a funny sort of dance they were doing. It reminded me of an NFL huddle before a big play. Then, I realized, maybe this was some mating ritual.

Of course, I opened the blinds further to continue to watch, facinated and a tad grossed out at the same time. I was wondering what "moves" they'd make next and would my innocent virginal eyes be traumatized. The largest bird must have seen the blinds move or heard me. He poked his head up from the huddle and looked in my direction. He poked his head back in for a second and then flew up out of sight.

I looked up and found him, sitting atop a high tree branch that overlooks our backyard. And, I kid you not, at that moment he looked down as if he was LOOKING DIRECTLY AT ME. I glanced down to see the other two birds wandering around looking at their feet, almost sheepishly.

Raunchy bird orgy or secret bird society meeting? You be the judge!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Hmmm, birds can be pretty weird, all right. I have two freakish bird memories. Two years ago, my husband and I drove past a flock (gaggle? pack?) of at least 100 wild turkeys- far more than we'd ever seen at one time. The weirdest part? It was the day before Thanksgiving! We decided it was an emergency meeting leading up to their most dangerous day of the year.
Last summer, I witnessed a hummingbird brawl. I play hostess to a large number of hummingbirds who like to sip from a feeder outside my window. One day, two males got into a fight. I kid you not, one pinned the other on the ground with his wings outspread for nearly five minutes. I probably should have reported it to the ornithological society, or whatever they call themselves.
The bottom line is that birds are like the ocean- So many unexplored aspects to consider! Nearly anything is possible. I'd just encourage you to stay away because birds are extremely creepy!

11:31 PM, July 02, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

HA! Your bird stories cracked me up!

4:31 PM, July 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home