Monday, July 04, 2005

No fireworks this 4th...

I was chatting with my pal, Babs, earlier. And, as it turns out it is not just an unsparkly 4th of July for me. It sounds like most people are going for the low-key day as we are. We skipped the 4th parade in our neighborhood this morning, because the kids couldn't take that heat. (It's 100 degrees here with no rain in sight, humidity high, and Houstonians are sweltering across our fair city.) Then, I chose to skip visiting the in-laws for the third day in a row, because I needed some down/alone time. My daughter was here still, but that's about as alone as I can get most of the time.

I did however do something really out of the ordinary today. I painted my toenails for the first time in 3-4 months. Seriously, I kept the last pedicure's crumbling and cracking nail polish on my toes until it literally eroded away. Who has time to paint toes, I ask? I did a very sad job with it, but it was nice to pamper myself while the wee one napped.

Now, I'm working on a scrapbook page to enter in a contest. It's actually a contest to honor breast cancer survivors. I, fortunately, don't know of someone who has struggled with this, but I'm doing the second contest--Why I Love Shoes! It's put on by this shoe company that has donated huge amounts to the Susan G. Komen foundation. The subject of my shoe page is not me...no I'm actually quite the shoe minimalist (for a chick, at least). It's my 1-year-old. This should give you some idea of her obsession:


Shoe Obsessions Start Early! Posted by Picasa

Should I win the contest (not likely), you will definitely hear back from me because the prizes are KICK ASS, my friends! At least, if you're a scrapbooking nerd like I am, they are!

And, last but not least, here's a little Monday Meme to get us started off this week, requested by a new blogging pal, Lucinda, over at Suburban Turmoil. (As I told her on her site, my answers are not near as unique or hip as hers!)

Three names you go by:
1. Steph (just don't call me "Stephie, I hate that!)
2. Mum-mum (my 1 yr old)
3. Maaaaahm! (Really Mom, but I hear it more like this in a whiney tone from my 5 yr old)

Three physical things you like about yourself:
1. My hair (most days)
2. My legs (newly-toned from my running program)
3. My eyes

Three physical things you don’t like about yourself (these were easy!):
1. My spare tire (which is over-inflated)
2. My neck--(it resembles a tree trunk, I think)
3. My hormonally-charged skin breakouts (you'd think I was 16 again!)

Three parts of your heritage:
1. German
2. Uh...I don't know, redneck?
3. And, even more redneck...

Three things that scare you:
1. Knives (as weapons, not as utensils!)
2. Things that go bump in the night
3. My kids respiratory problems (one with asthma and a possibly budding asthma)

Three everyday essentials:
1. toothpaste
2. deodorant
3. a banana clip or ponytail skrunchie

Three of your favorite musical artists:
1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Martina McBride
3. Jewel
(Much hipper answers would have been Joss Stone, Alicia Keys and Anna Nalick, but I'm being honest here.)

Three of your favorite songs: (I'll just pick three I have most related to at various points in my life, because I have SO many songs I love!)
1. Breathe, Anna Nalick (diggin' this one right now)
2. Blessed, Martina McBride
3. Wide Open Spaces, Dixie Chicks

Three things you want in a relationship:
1. Romance
2. Humor
3. Honesty

Three lies and truths in no particular order:
LIES:
1. Keep your friends closer and your enemies closer. (I say keep those enemies as FAR away as you can!)
2. Blood is thicker than water. (Not always, I have some friends I trust much more actually.)
3. Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes are really in love. (couldn't resist)

TRUTHS:
1. Nothing is harder than seeing your own faults in your children.
2. Give a person enough rope and they will hang themselves.
3. Your outlook on life and how you react to situations affects your overall happiness.

Three physical things about the opposite sex that appeals to you:
1. a great smile
2. nice eyes
3. i kind of like guys with dimples!

Three of your favorite hobbies:
1. Scrapbooking
2. Writing
3. Running (newly rediscovering this one)

Three things you want to do really badly now:
1. Lose a significant amount of weight/get healthy
2. Win a scrapbooking contest or go on a scrap cruise
3. Hire a maid!

Three careers you’re considering/you’ve considered:
1. Television News Producer
2. Magazine Writer/Book Editor
3. Psychologist/Therapist (call me CRAZY, but I think this would be amazing!)

Three places you want to go on vacation:
1. Ireland
2. Australia
3. Greece and/or Rome

Three kid’s names you like:
1. Suzanne
2. Erin
3. Lance or Zachary

Three things you want to do before you die:
1. Find my true calling in life, my passion
2. Learn to love myself completely
3. See my kids grow up happy and healthy

Three ways that you are stereotypically a boy:
1. I love to play sports.
2. I don't like gossip and am a direct person.
3. I am most comfortable jean shorts and a t-shirt to super girly clothes..but I gussy myself up now and then too!

Three ways that you are stereotypically a girl:
1. I like doing hair.
2. When I have the cash I like to have manicures and pedicures.
3. I love romantic comedies.

Three celeb crushes:
1. Matthew McConnehy
2. Young Mel Gibson
3. John Cusak (he's just so interesting!)
Embarrassing runner up: Chris O'Donnell...I still think he's cute, even if he participated in the worst Batman movie ever!

Three people that I would like to see take this quiz…
1. Lisa
2. Babs
3. Momster
(Dipu, I'd have picked you too, but I know how you hate these things--so you do it too if you will!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

OK, my husband just made me realized that I was wrong about the pedicure thing. I got one for Mother's Day at a spa when we were in Mexico. But, before that, I bet it had been 3-4 months! Gross, I know...but what can you do?

10:46 PM, July 04, 2005  
Blogger babs said...

I absolutely LOVE your lies and truths! Deep Thoughts, by Seriously Steph. :)

(btw, I'm so totally going to do this too when I have a free moment later)

10:19 AM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Dipu said...

Sure, I'll do this too!!

Riiiiiiiight...

2:10 PM, July 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home